Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The $5 train ride (Yogyakarta to Bangyuwangibaru)

Today's train ride is in economy, (economy seats three in a row and makes local stops) about a 14 hour journey towards Ijen. (Skipping Mount Bromo due to time and costs) Later to find out that it is totally possible. 

Last night we walked to the local supermarket to pick up groceries. I grabbed a bunch of things totaling out to $7. I came out with a hefty bag of snacks. Afterwards we got some dinner at a nearby restaurant. 
Dinner was only $2 and I had a coconut drink as well. I love cheap food! 

The hostel we stayed at the past two days had been very lovely. I need to get the name of the place. They let me use their personal laptop last night to buy my plane ticket back to Singapore and bought us breakfast this morning. 
I'm a bit saddened about missing mount bromo this time around but I'll be back to Indonesia. Next time, when I don't have so much on the itinerary with a lot more time I'll do bromo and all the inbetweens as well. On the flip side I am really happy about the fact that I will gain 2/3 days due to this decision and save a huge chunk of money. Also bumping my flight forward to have 2 more days in Indonesia at the end as well. :) Yes! 
I love hot sauce and guess what? They've got it. *\(^o^)/*
Above is the book we read together on the train, now we are all a little closer to ultimate happiness. (As you can tell this post is written whilst on the train, because what else am I going to do :P) 
Everything was fine until I was woken up with rain coming into through the window. Lucky for us it didn't last long. 

We checked google map and we will go north towards Surabaya before heading all the way to the east. I'm looking forward to dropping off the luggage and see this infamous blue flame! (At midnight of course) No rest for me, having more to see it looks like it will be a ferry over to Bali tomorrow. 
There nothing better than a bowl of chocolate puffs to ease the journey. Or in Syd's case a box of coco pops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment