Thursday, December 11, 2014

Blue flame and sunrise at Ijen

We were picked up at the train station by the guest house staff. From there we learned you could get a tour to Ijen at 12:30am and return for 8am. ($15+ $10 park entrance) After grabbing some food from the near by 'restaurant' which actually was pre-made food and dishes you could pick from. ($0.70) it was time to recharge and get ready. Since we only got into the train station at 9pm we were all pretty damn knackered but there is no time to waste since everyone wanted to get to Bali tomorrow. 
I think since I left on December 3rd, today being the 10th now...I have accumulated over 48 hours of travel time.
The guest house organized us two jeeps to take us to what I believe is the entrance. Overall I am quite lost on the actual itinerary. I was informed shortly after dinner that we would be doing it on our own. That it wasn't worth giving up the exploration bit of we were on said tour. 

Personally without a backpack and actual hiking gear I felt quite unnerved, lacking in preparation. Well, no regrets. 

The trek was hard for me, I'm a slow walker and quite unfit. Soon after the arrival I was walking alone the group had gone ahead without me and no where in sight. 

I was a bit disheartened but I ended up meeting a kind Indonesian guide that walked half way up with me. When I got to the top I met up with a tour group where I made some friends. 

I piggybacked with a group of four. The tour guide kindly took me in and gave me a respirator which I really needed if I was to attempt the steep rocky climb down to see the blue flame. 

I really needed an actual camera for good quality photos but I have swapped contacts to get some from the other tour group.

Last stop was the beautiful sunrise!! I met a lovely Australian girl (thanks Claire) that embarked lots of wonderful ideas for Bali island. I am so excited to go! 
I did it!





No comments:

Post a Comment