Friday, July 22, 2011

Entertainment in Jilin City, China Part 4


Commuting 
Around Jilin taking a taxi is the quickest way to get around, the meter starts off at 5Yuan and that will take you a fair distance about a 5-10 minute drive. (taxi drivers in Jilin from what I can tell are a bit sheltered when it comes to the outside world since most of them were not aware of Cantonese, they also do not speak any English)**I did however find a taxi driver that lived in Hong Kong for awhile I grabbed his cell phone and called him for personal uses since it was more pleasant way of getting around, he also chauffeur people to the airport, at least this way I could practice my Cantonese** Buses are the cheapest way after cycling around, it costs 1 Yuan/per bus you take but this stop at every stop driving at snail pace while people cram on even though there is clearly not enough room. You can also get a 'bus card' where you load up money and it costs you 0.90 Jiao per trip saving you the hassle of fumbling around for loose change. Cycling would be the cheapest but not necessarily the safest the roads in China have no rules it is like a free for all. If you can afford a scooter and ride it with confidence I would suggest this would be the way to go since all you have to do is drag the battery up to your apartment to charge. My roommate in China had one and weaving through cars past the buses and cyclists is the way to travel. There is a train in this city but it will only take you out of the city, luckily it is much cheaper than flying but takes a lot of time. You can read about the different tiers of sleepers on trains in China in the lonely planet.





Entertainment
Here is me horseback riding for the first time since I was in Jr. high. Later on this day I fell off the horse since it started galloping and I had to drag the courage out of me to get back on the horse, literally!
Mr. Professor Turtlestien. He lives happiliy in an aquarium with lobsters now.
As for finding things to do as expected there are lots of things to see and do when the whole city is brand new. From there I very quickly made friends with the other foreigners, being so far away from home bonds people together and shortly after you are all friends.
Fire works we bought to celebrate Canada Day and Independance Day.\
Above:  Me at the driving range, I very quickly found out that this isn't my sport. It was nice to socialize but the boys seem to take this game a little more seriously than I care to.
Probably one of the smallest amusement parks in a mall that I have ever been to but it was an adventure non-the-less.
This lake apparently has a dragon within, like they all do. Somewhere there is a chain I believe it is to the left of this picture...something happens when you pull the chain up. In the end we learned that this chain will only make you dirty.


Obviously there are the regular tourist attractions, parks, temples, amusement parks, sports based events on top of that there are the holidays, birthdays and dinner parties to top it all off. Surprisingly with very little communication skills I had tonnes to do while I was there. Volunteering is always an option if you find yourself lost for things to do, getting involved with the locals will give you a sense of self satisfaction. 

Chinese New Years where you make dumplings with your family or in this case with my new found Chinese friends, Teacher's Day, Tomb Sweeping day, dragon boat races and all the western holidays that us westerners want to take advantage of giving us lots to plan for.

Who doesn't love a haunted house?
With traveling around China, visiting the local sites, making new friends, volunteering at a home for handicapped, a high school and a bar I never was bored.
Here is me drinking my beer in front of the dancers.
I was introduced to some bars where they played top 40 Chinese music and some very main stream western music like Lady Gaga. KTV - karaoke in a private room was something I really enjoyed only your friends are allowed in there, they serve fruit platters some bar finger foods like sunflower seeds and beer.
I decided to post this because people fall down all the time right?

You might ask yourself, 'what am I looking at?' cause I did. This is one the LED light up wall artyou can find within a KTV. Just to show you that there are weird-os everywherein the world.
G+ the hippest most happening place in town. They have dancers on the tables, singers and sometimes even a pole dancer. Expensive drinks, large TVs with sports showing and bad music.


Trivia Hosting!

Yay, Triva!

No comments:

Post a Comment