Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cu Chi Tunnels and Shooting Range!

This morning at 8am we hoped on a bus for 2 hours to the Cu Chi tunnels were the Viet Cong fought the Americans using guerrilla war tactics in I believe it was 1959.

Before we we got there we stopped for a pit stop at a place where they made lacquered man made Vietnamese goods. I found the details and how innovative they were with their art somewhat out of this world.


Saigon a city of 9 million, 4 million of them are moto bike drivers.

Vietnamese lady making tiger art out of egg shells.

A finished piece made with egg shells with a lacquered finish.

A trap door that the Viet Cong made to kill Americans.

The tunnels!

A tank- self explanatory.

Me shooting my first real gun!!

They told me that Karrie is a better shot than me, I am not surprised I think she is meant to be a sniper in the war. She would be the person I would pick to cover me while I hack and slash zombies with my melee weapons. ie. Jian, Katana, short blades, staff etc.


I don't know why my expression is like that, there is also a man behind me crawling on all fours telling you that the tunnel is indeed very low. About a meter high! Trivia: Viet Cong's were about 5 foot tall and 90 lbs (45 kgs) they ate nothing but tapioca with peanut dip and rice.
Here is the wiki link-Cu Chi Tunnels

At the Cu Chi tunnels was a shooting range, I have never shot a real gun in my life so this was a great experience for me. I got to shot 5 rounds from a M16!!


JENNY'S RECOMMENDATION ON ACCOMMODATIONS:
Karrie and I are currently staying in a brand new guest house called "MAI-" they provide Cable TV, Free internet, wifi, A/C, hot shower and when I say hot shower I mean you literally have to turn it down to avoid scalding yourself. The rooms are immaculately clean and it is owned by a family that are so accommodating and friendly. They do cheap laundry, have bus services, the owner speaks great English and is super helpful. The guest house is safe they lock up at 11pm, it is however tucked away in a back alley of the foreign district surrounded by local food venders and is close to the market.

For a room that has two double beds, A/C, wifi, hot shower, flat screen TV with cable, a mini fridge and even a small packet of body soap when we arrived we paid 16US/per night. Definitely the nicest place we have stay in yet and was worth every dollar, I almost don't want to leave.

ADDRESS: "MAI" 241/41 Pham Ngu Lao, Street Dist.1 Ho Chi Minh City

Directions: If you are on Pham Ngu Lao Street there is a small western union, it does look like a sketchy alley way next to it (go down that street) but everyone around there are nice. There is also an Indian Food restaurant as you enter in on your left.

If you are on Bui Vien Street it is tucked in between a very busy Vietnamese restaurant with tiny stools and many people drinking beer.....this is if you are walking away from the Crazy Buffalo you will turn right. If you are facing the buffalo you will turn left after the Donar/Vietnamese sandwich stand.

Best of luck I hope you can find it.

Tomorrow we depart for the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment