Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Jenny is Japanese in Thailand.

So ,since I have arrived in Thailand I have had over two dozen people try to speak to me in Japanese. Also, many people asking, “Are you from Japan?” I would like to know what it is that makes me more Japanese to them than Chinese. 

Is it because I speak English or is it because I have big eyes. O_O
So I want to take a quick poll, if you didn’t know me would you think I am Japanese? Was this your first impression? 

Interestingly enough I have spent the last year in China explaining to locals why I don’t speak Mandarin and that I speak Cantonese due to the fact that my mother is from Guangzhou and spent the time to teach me when I was younger. No one can understand why a Chinese looking girl can’t speak her own language. Mind you that in North East China no one speaks Cantonese anyways, so it is a moo point. (it is just another foreign language to them) To top that conversation off I have to tell everyone that my English is good because I was born in Canada. I never did figure out how to say first generation Chinese born Canadian.

Funnily enough, Jenny is Korean in China. 

At least at home in Canada, Jenny is just Jenny no racial stereotype.

3 comments:

  1. uhh...i just wanted to say...YEAHHI! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you look Japanese. Maybe 'cause you're kind of tanned and a lot of Japanese when they backpack become quite dark....Unlike most Chinese people who are obsessed with staying white?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Chinese, but I recall not saying that when you challenged us as I was sure it was a trick question.

    ReplyDelete