Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Giant Buddha in Hong Kong

Chinese Long Doughnut wrapped in Rice Noodles
This is the most exhausting day I have had in Hong Kong since we have arrived. This morning at 9:30am it was time for dim sum, then off to the MTR for a four transfer  train ride to the tram car to take us up to the giant Buddha. When we arrived at the tram car line up I didn’t realize how big of a tourist attraction it truly was. I wasn’t ready for the line up but man was I pleased with myself for being my ipod I don’t know what I would have done without it.

2 hours later we finally got our ticket (we could have bought the crystal car-see through bottom but we didn’t) off to the tram car, up here we could see the Hong Kong airport and the coast. It was quite the view when we were in the car up we saw this path that trails upon all the mountains that I would very much like to walk when I return to Hong Kong for round 4. 

When we arrived at the top of the mountain we could see the Buddha it seemed so small in comparison to the mountains. This place was filled with souvenir shops of all sorts, starbucks, 7-11, subway and tons of touristy things. There were massive herds of people everywhere. 






We walked around checked out some of the temples in the area and then off to climb the flight of stairs to the top. Took some pictures of the Buddha and the surrounding panorama, it would be a great place to sit down and do some art, meditation and just relax if there weren’t screaming babies around every corner. 


Off to the bus terminus to catch a ride down the mountain at a much quicker rate. Then onto another bus to get back to my grandma’s place. Before we headed back we stopped to eat dinner at a nice corner ‘fan dem’. We ate congee and one of my favourite dishes. (Chinese long doughnut wrapped in rice noodles: nom nom yum!!!)
Tomorrow is my last day in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment