Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Phở Report

My first beef Pho in Saigon, Vietnam. It was one of the smaller bowls of noodles that I have had since I have arrived. The little chill's were instantly burning hot as soon as it touched any part of your mouth. 

Vermicelli, fried beef and deep fried spring rolls. I was very optimistic about this dish since it uber yummy at home. It was lacking some peanuts which I do fancy quite a bit. Luckily it did come with the I wan to say sweet sauce with tiny bits of chili in it. I love to pour it over my noodles from time to time.

Chicken Pho, the chicken one wasn't as good as I had hoped. The chicken was over cooked and I think the classic beef Pho is much better. I do however need to point out that I do love the little lime that they provide with your noodles.

Prawn Pho, I personally love prawns, yes it is more expensive but it is chump change in comparison to beef pho. In this particular bowl everything was already thrown into my noodle soup for me in advance before I got it. So no lime for me.

Vermicelli, deep fried spring rolls with fried beef. These spring rolls were evidently filled with meat I wasn't unaware since the first batch of spring rolls were veggie. The beef was much better than the previous bowl of vermicelli also. I think the next one I will be eating will be a bowl of Chicken lemon grass vermicelli.

So here is something I had to try pork vermicelli. I loved it since I haven't eating pork since Cambodia and that was only bacon for breakfast. This I believe has been the first bit of pork that I have eaten with a meal since I have left China. The best part was the fact that they had bubble tea here. Mmmmm.....milk tea. The noodles weren't nearly as fresh as they should be I couldn't finish them since they had clumped together. They did however since I have yet to seen it in action is they bedded my noodles with tons of veggies, mostly lettuce and cucumbers. This is when I realized that I liked sprouts all the more and they are more fitting for this style of food.

The one day I decided to get fettuccine Alfredo I had serious buyer remorse that I didn't get Pho. I have learned my lesson everybody I <3 Pho and I will not eat any more western food while I am here in Vietnam.
 
So I have had a hankering for Pho since I left Canada and Vermicelli. So I have decided to document all the noodles that I will be eating over the next little while. I know that this was something that is very pointless to my travels but I figured I am going to eat more noodles than I would Pad Thai's in Thailand since I have to be honest I love Vietnamese food so much more. So I have taken the liberty to take as many pictures of my food during my stay in Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment