Monday, December 15, 2014

Living life on Gili Air

I checked into the hostel I booked from hostel world and found out very quickly that the rooms were blistering hot. There was two fans that circulated hot air around the room. I said hello to the Swedish  girl in my dorm room before heading off for lunch. 
This is an island that caters to tourists so there are bungalows everywhere. Depending on how much you want to spend and what kind of accommodations you wanted you could easily find something that is more suitable for your liking. 

I just wanted a private room with air con so I could write music and get a tan. Besides that I wasn't looking for much, I met a girl from Belgium and we hit it off. We went wandering around asking for prices, it ranged from 150,000 with no AC to 600,000 a night with a lot of perks. 

Finally after asking about 4 places we were waved down by a guy on the street and ushered around the back to beautiful new bungalows where he wanted 250,000 rupiah per night (breakfast, pool and air con) we opted out of breakfast and told him we would stay for the rest of our stay making it one week. We got a twin room, with a bit of bartering I got him down to 185,000 no breakfast...split two ways that's about $9.25 a night each. 
Back to 7seas dorm I asked for a refund out of my $14 they gave me back $6 and I was happy to leave that place behind. 
The food here is a bit more, about double what you would find in Ubud but it is a small island. You really have to seek out the little places around to find reasonable priced local food. The weather here is amazingly hot and the nights are filled with stars in the sky and clam waves. I'm glad I didn't hit the party island this place is a little piece of paradise. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment