Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Biking around Dondet

Today I woke up more motivated to get my bike on than any other day. I grabbed a bike for 10,000kips which is about a dollar something Canadian. Started off heading to the south of the island I was thinking about finding away all the way around. The island was much bigger than expected.

Most the roads here are not cemented so it was like off roading for the most part. I biked and biked saw monkeys, dogs, cats, donkeys, cows, pigs, roosters, chickens, water buffalos along the way.  They were so calm about people being around and they breed so well in what seems like their natural habit.

When I got the Dondet village sign I had two options one was big path and one was the small path. I went down the big path leading me to the rockiest most bumpy bike ride I have ever had. I had to steer around a cow on the road and lost my purse on a huge bump.

Eventually I made it to the bridge that leads to Don Khon which is the island that we are going to today. I was happy to have made it off the bumpy road and figured it was time to take the next path over. It ended up leading me to a dead end and a farm. After turning around it was time to take the smallest path.
Down the smallest path I saw the read Lao people going about their daily lives. Working on their farms, showering outside, not using any electricity to go about their business and I just found that their lives seem so relaxed.

I started to wonder how it would be to be raised and born on an island expanding due to tourism. How it effects daily lives and if that your only source of income becomes supporting the tourists that visit the island. What was this island like before any outsiders knew about it?






I haven’t been this energetic on this trip, we did go biking near the river side in Luang Prabang but it was nothing like this. I will definitely bike more during our travels. It really made me miss my gearless BMX waiting for me at home with a flat tire and probably broken breaks. I know that if I had done today’s bike ride on my BMX I would dying right now from exhaustion.

No comments:

Post a Comment