Monday, November 15, 2010

Biking Adventure #3

So we rented bikes again today and hoped to bike around the north of the island.  Off we go and then we realized that we have started biking down a very rocky small shale covered path. The thing about this particular kind of shale rock type substance is that it isn’t broken down into a flat surface. Every rock is pointed and oblonged shape hinders any kind of smoothing riding.
At one point I thought very loudly to myself, “I would much rather be stirred than shaken.” Think of me saying this with that toggled throat noise.
About 20 minutes in, my bike chain started to fall off and continued so for the rest of our 3 hour bike. So we had some options we could very well turn around on the very shaky rocky path or forge on forward. Since I am one of those people that don’t like back tracking I said, “On ward!”
After about 2 dozen times getting off the bike and putting the chain back on, I was irate and was ready to eat dinner, shower and relax.
We did get a chance to absorb the magnificent scenery and good photo opts even if it was just the local scenery; it is a great was to soak in the culture. Instead of it handed to you on a platter of what you should think of a country via book or tour group. I really like Laos, it is stunningly beautiful.
The past couple days we have been lazing around just enjoying the scenery and life on the island. It is very relaxed and I can say it is very easy to get use to this kind of life style. Exercise, art, reading, writing and just being. Living in the moment doing whatever you feel like, I am sure eventually it will become boring and mundane but we will be on our way to Cambodia before that happens.


We are leaving on Monday to do our next border crossing into Cambodia! I am excited to go to a new country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment