Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Made it out of Japan Alive

For all those that didn't already read my little blurb from the airport on Instagram I share more of the details here.

I was fretting for the past two days due to speaking to many people about visa requirements needed to go to Taiwan and make a return to Japan. There were so many possibilities and variables that I had to consider  from the moment that arrived at the airport.

Since I had so much on my mind, I thought to myself that I should leave a little early from my house tidy up the loose ends and make sure that I was ready to leave first thing in the morning. I got very little sleep, I think I tossed and turned for about an hour and a half but this is better for me since that means when I finally make it to my destination I will be so tired I can catch up on sleep and make use of my first real day exploring with lots of rest backing me up.

As soon as I arrived at the airport I was greeted by the lady at the counter with a frown about my passport, she ran off not telling me what it was about. 5 minutes passes…she returns and starts to check me in without a word in regards to why she ran off in the first place. (I am pretty sure that it had something to do with my working holiday visa) Next she insisted that my travel guitar needed to be checked with a fee of 3600yen because I didn't buy the extra baggage from the airline. [Singapore air] 

I confess I made a little more than a fuss about it, I haggled with her about checking in my backpack and I would gladly carry-on my guitar and pay the fee. Then the supervisor came over and I told her the situation and she gladly waved the fee and said that I could carry on both pieces. Bless her.
Next stop was through security and onto immigration, I didn’t think I would have any issues leaving the country. As soon as I stepped up to the counter the lady there said that I must go to another counter because she could not process me.  Reason? Unknown. So I make it over to the counter where this old Japanese man very irately asked me questions.
  • Do you know that your working holiday visa is finished? Yes.
  • Do you know that your visa expires tomorrow? Yes.
  • How long are you going to be in Taiwan for? 3 weeks.
  • Are you planning on returning to Japan? Yes.
  • How long do you plan to stay in Japan? 3 months
  • Why? Visiting friends and traveling.
The strange thing about all of this was the fact that he was asking me all these questions in such an angry manner that I seriously thought that he was going to ban me from the country. Then he just said have a good time when you return to Japan with a scowl on his face. What was wrong with him? Who knows. :/ I am more confused than worried after that conversation.

I picked up a quick lunch, exchanged my money into Taiwanese Dollar and boarded the plane with ease. Now I am ready to face immigration on the other side to see if I can make it through!

No comments:

Post a Comment