Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Arrival in Taipei

I can't believe I was even worried about coming into the country, after my 3 hour flight I was able to just stroll up to immigration. The man at the counter didn't ask me a single question let alone speak to me. Maybe because it was my first time in Taiwan but hey I have my a 90 day tourist visa!

I managed to decipher the convoluted instructions to the hostel, I don't usually stay in hostels but I have been feeling a little lonely. Of course this is a wonderful way to meet some new faces. I was instantly greeted by a Taiwanese girl named 'Rice' with lots of energy and knowledge about Taipei. She was so welcoming from the instant I stepped in the door that I didn't feel like a foreigner at all. I am really happy she was the one who greeted me at the door, had it been anyone else I would have thought maybe a hostel would have been a bad idea.

She literally overloaded my brain with places to visit, things to eat and stuff to buy and look at. I cannot imagine having enough time to see and do everything she has told me about today. Now that I think about it, I must make sure that I return and get the full effect of Taiwan. Maybe I have found my new little food haven, the weather is nice, the people are too...what am I missing? Maybe a job.  

Not only do I live in the midst of the night market, everything is reasonably priced as well. I already know that I love the food and the streets are clean but not in that sterile kind of way. It reminds me of all the good times I had in China but with a Japanese twist to it.

I instantly made some friends here (the two girls from Chicago) whom invited me out for dinner, a place recommended by Anthony Bordain. I am very thankful that I met these ladies, it was a wonderful start to my time in Taipei. Sad that they are leaving for Bangkok tomorrow, we had one epic talk about taking advantage of the time we have been given and not wasting what is most important to us life. This conversation is definitely going to spore another post. I found an episode about Taipei if anyone is interested in watching. I know I'm going to watch it a couple of times to make sure I try lots of food! (not saying I wasn't going to anyways)


No comments:

Post a Comment