Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Pixies

This was an all ages show it started fairly early in the evening, I showed up about an hour after doors opened at the Shaw Conference Center. (7:30pm). Met up with some fabulous friends to watch the opening band. 'Imaginary Cities' (A Canadian Band from Winnipeg) just wasn't my cup of tea. Instead I got myself a coffee to entertain and give me something to do while I wait for the headliner.

This post was originally going to be more about the music instead it turned into one long, short joke. Ha ha.

First of all 'I am short'. I know what you are thinking 'THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION' Over the years I have learned that glasses, loose fitting shoes and dangle-ly bits just aren't your friend in the pit. Tonight was a great example why being short doesn't suit concerts, as everyone could have already guess the ability to see the stage for me is pretty much nil. Being short gives you the advantage only if you are willing to play this to the max.

ex. I tap several very tall boys in front of me and he decides 'Yes, you are short enough that I can still look directly over your head and clearly see the show, so you may stand in front of me.' After a certain number of times this method looses it appeal. This doesn't work when they do a full 360 right over and then proceeds to tell their friend how short you were after the second attempt to get his attention. I think its sad that people don't look up or down when things are happening around them. How oblivious.                          >.<

Eventually I made it one person away from the front. Now usually being in the front is ideal since there is literally no one to block your view. Downside is the crowd behind you is going to push you into the bar dislodging your orgasns. Also without eyes on the back of your head there is no way to see when there is an incoming crowd surfer. Again, being short gives me a bit of an awesome cop-out regarding crowd surfers: 1. I can't reach them so I don't have to help hold them up. 2. I'm am usually too short for them to kick me, I have however been kicked because I happened to reside in that empty space that their legs dropped into leaving me with a steel toe boot in the face. Luckily not at this show. 3. No a single soul will ask me to help them go up.

Here we notice that I have not yet gotten over the fact that I love the negative look.

This was how close I was to the stage, no zoom kids.

Back to the original thought, after placing myself into the front so I can take the most optimal photographs I felt the pressure. This pressure is of everyone of all sides pressing my organs into places where they do not belong. It wasn't natural relocation of my innards. This felt very similar to what I believe a garbage compactor would feel and smell like if I could survive being pressed into a cube. Enduring this for about 45 minutes I had to back out at least a couple rows.

Roughly four rows from the front people were just flailing up and down, I'm not going to sick around in this area. I wasn't planning to get an elbow on top of my head or in the eye, this is the biggest dangers for someone of my height standing in this area. I have suffered both those injuries before so if I can avoid it I will. Off I go, now I am back at the end of the crowd there is ample space, a cold breeze that I can actually enjoy and a near by water fountain. (instead of playing nasty concession prices) Now I don't like to be a bleachers person but as we all know there is a totally different atmosphere when you are far enough back to see the entirety of the show.

Here is me taking a photograph from the farthest bleachers
All in all this show was pretty good since they played the 'Dolittle' Album and presented us with two encores.

No comments:

Post a Comment