Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 2: SASQUATCH

This time before we left our campsite we packed our backpack full to the zipper with warm clothes. It sure got cold last night to the point where I had actually lost the feeling in my toes until we went down to the pit. Sitting down getting beat down with cold skin piercing winds isn't the way to enjoy a show. Lesson learned.

Mid afternoon: The sun is beaming searing us both with its hot bright UV rays. It is time to start the day with some 'Stairway to Heaven' it just played on random but it seems suiting. We cooked up some Jam sandwiches with a bottle of water in hand it was time to make some friends. After one fruitless walk it was time for a wine break. The quest for a bottle opener turned up some useful information. *puff-puff*

The walk down to the site is only about a 15-20 minute walk from our camp. Due to the long search at the gate we were delayed and were late enough to catch the last 4 songs of K-OS's set. ROCK + HIPHOP = AWESOME. K-OS played me stairway to heaven (which was the first song that started today) and told us to smoke a joint, which we did. This man is a prophet.
K-OS

LUNCH BREAK

With full bellies we went and hung around the main stage, attempting to nap, do crosswords and as for Danny resist the temptation to scratch his rash he suddenly developed. During this time we were serenaded by the jazz band PINK MARTINI, who showed that a festival is not always about being as loud as possible, and then IRON & WINE, who were similar but with guitar (and also good).


We made a small attempt to see THE TRAILER PARK BOYS, but so did the rest of the festival and we could neither see or hear. So we gave up on that and went to see WOLF PARADE instead.

When we made it back to the Banana Shack in the evening for THE GLITCH MOB; unable to see and for Danny I believe bemused was the word he used. We sat outside and watched the terrible dancers to pass the time. TGM ended their set with a cover of Seven Nation Army that was a giggle but not as good as the original. Who doesn't love more noise for noise's sake?

Our next appointment was with DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE whose melancholy pop-rock or whatever you call it doesn't make for much dancing. [I took this time to fashion my own slow motion dance that I find out over the weekend can be applied to any genre of music.] In the end it was a fairly enjoyable show. The crowd however did go wild for I will follow you into the dark, the only song that most people knew. (us included)

Death Cab for Cutie
Leaving Death Cab for Cutie to get to BASSNECTAR on time, since I didn't come all this way to miss any of his show even though I have seen have several times before. We did our best to get close to the stage, I should have known better.



Before his show there were people organizing the 'largest glow stick shower' for the start of his set. I believe that they wanted to set a world record, these people/company? were also the people that organized and I would assume bringing and holding the 'big giant shower.' (yes, a large out door shower with as many people they could fit in it as possible.)

I had no room to dance and the backpack worn by the tall gentlemen in front of me was just becoming irritating. So it was time for us to make a move to the outer circle were people have room to breathe  Now I have room to dance, YAY!  *lights joint*

This is when Bassnectar decided to throw down a version of 'Dyer Maker' by Led Zeppelin mixed into 'Come as you are' by Nirvana into the dub steppy song ever.  I just melted when he played Dyer Mayer <3 That is twice today I heard Zeppelin, lucky me.

For his Encore he threw down another remix of True Life, now I myself an not a fan of Rap but his version was dnb. If you know me at all I lovesses by Drum and Bass, what a perfect way to end the evening. Time to grab a delicious coffee for our midnight walk back to camp.

Another fantablious day at Sasquatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment