Saturday, May 21, 2011

Arrival in Toronto

3 hour flight later

I haven't been to this city since I was 18 and if you don't already know the legal drinking age is 19 so that put a damper on my previous trip.

After a bus to the subway and a short walk we made to the hostel, there was no reception desk which I thought was a bit off putting. A Chinese married couple ran these hostels right from his cell phone, that is right they had more than one hostel. They thought I was Korean, I guess all Chinese people think I am Korean and in Thailand I am Japanese. I must look more mixed than I thought.

Instantly after we arrived they asked if it was alright if we moved hostels....SURE? Did we have a choice? Two doors down we were placed at the top floor of this dorm house. The self serve kitchen was alright but lacked a toaster (later we find out that this is going to be a recurring problem) The wi-fi here was a fail. 

To save some money we headed to the grocery store

* draw light bulb above head now*


we should mix four different kind of microwavable dinners together. Dinner for two for $4 CAD FTW.

After eating this concoction we went on a liquor store hunt, we asked a man with two cases of beer for directions. NO LUCK. WTF?!

We walked on for what felt like the entirety of downtown Toronto on Yonge street. Trying not to be discouraged we went to a restaurant for a pint to end the evening. A quick jaunt back to the strange hostel to watch cable TV (Kill Bill and the beginning to Lost in Translation) This reminded me how much I hate commercials.
 
There was this silly painting in our room that I didn't like very much and gave me the creeps.
We should have more mural art like this in Edmonton

The odd painting in our room

No comments:

Post a Comment