Saturday, October 20, 2012

Off to and arrival in Edinburgh

The time in Fort William went by really quickly but I guess we spent a lot of the time relaxing. Feeling relatively rejuvenated it is time for us to board the (11:40am) train (ScotRail) towards Glasgow for a quick change over before the last leg of the trip to our new destination Edinburgh. I can't wait, I am really excited to hit up a capital city to soak in civilization and night life. Since it was nearly non-existent in Tarbert, I know that there was some 'party' up in Stornoway but we didn't really get the time off to go clubbing there. Not sure if one would call it clubbing.

4:45pm we arrived at Waverley Train Station after trekking up the Fleshmarket Close up to Cockburn Street where the Edinburgh Backpackers are located. Before I go on, I had some issues with their website, you can't book any private rooms on their site. But you can book a private room on Hostelworld.com my preferred website is usually Hostelbookers but they didn't show their private rooms.

**Side Note** If you buy a Plusbus all day pass when you are buying your rail tickets it is only good for the day you arrive.

Edinburgh Castle












After waiting for a long time putting a £10 key deposit we were directed up to High Street and next to a whiskey shop we reached our Flat with a shared kitchen and bathroom. The room that we are in is really spacious and quite cosy a nice change from the last hotel. Time to go wander a bit since we were seated so long on the train. Got the night view of the city from the castle, afterwards we headed across to the other side to new town to visit our friend Kriss that worked with us at Hotel Hebrides.

We picked up 'Vesuvio £8.85 £10.45 £13.45pepperoni, onion, pancetta, mixed jalapenos, tabasco, grana padano ' from Origano Cafe & Pizzeria since they didn't have the seating area for us when we showed up. Kriss so highly recommended this place we ordered take out. It was the best thin crust pizza that I can remember eating in ages. I even forgot to take a picture of it!

I really wanted to go out dancing after having our pizza and a couple of drinks, Kriss recommended this boat bar called The Cruz. They were suppose to have a dj playing there until 1 am  but when we arrived at 11:30pm there wasn't much going on. Instantly we hopped in a taxi and headed to Pivo, the lady at the bar seemed quite short with me even though there was no line up. The dance floor was empty and the lounge house was acceptable but nothing to fuss over.


It was time to call it quits I guess the places don't stay open much later than 1am that I know of yet. When we made it back to Kriss and Polina's flat they made us nalesniki. Super yummy, it was a request of mine since I had it one Christmas dinner with a Polish family. Danny and I took a 30 minute walk back into old town before we got the chance to have a well deserved night's rest.

Funny that I am posting about Polish food in Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment