Saturday, October 27, 2012

Couch Surfing Nottingham

Since I had a weekend free to do whatever I wanted I figured that it would be a good idea to see the sights of Nottingham. After doing a bit of research I was able to locate some people that I could stay with and not only that I had found a music festival that I could go to. With many venues and all for free no less, local musicians and tonnes of talent to be displayed. Since that was only Sunday I had some time to kill, what better way to pass some time than to meet the locals.

I headed off to meet my first host from Couchsurfer (I highly recommend this site) he was very friendly and we had a long conversation in regards to travelling, teaching around the world, music, movies and even relationships. He was very easy to get along with. The next day I got a nice hot shower and it was off to see some sights in town.

Robin Hood!

I think it speaks for itself. 
Inside the oldest inn in England the rooms were all part of the inner workings of the cave, my host was very nice to give me a historic tour whilst we were walking towards the inn. They had lots of beers and ales for people to try offering three mini pints for £4 where you can pick and choose. Pretty good deal! So we indulged a bit and had an early afternoon drink. There were also swords and gauntlets of all sorts in the display cases along the walls. They have a pretty comprehensive menu but I didn't order any food so I couldn't tell you if it was any good. I can however let you know that it was packed in there and finding a seat could prove to be difficult. The bar itself was labelled crematorium which I thought was a nice touch and the ceiling above the bar had all sorts of bank notes from around the world. Even saw a 20 dollar bill from Canada. I didn't realize how long it has been since I had seen one. :P


We considered going into the history museum but there was a door fee on  the weekends and there was a children's event going on at the Nottingham Castle mind you I did get to take a quick peek through the gates. I guess after seeing the Edinburgh Castle this one seemed small. Mind you their gift shop had lots of interesting Robin Hood swag.

He was nice enough to wait with me at the town centre square where I waited for my friend for a wonderful lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment