Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Leaving Edinburgh

Greyfriars Bobby
From check out we had 9 hours to kill, what to do next? Since Danny and I are so fond of our museums off to the national museum of Scotland. A place that matched the British museum. With tonnes of unique animals that I have not seen before a rarity for myself since I have been in so many.

The best thing I saw there was the Crysophase, or 'time eater', a crazy clock adorned with a massive decorative grasshopper that kept irregular time, resyncing every five minutes as a means of representing the varying speeds of time's passage as humans perceive it.

The Time Eater 
 The second one was the 'millennium clock', it was made in the tribute to human suffering with many layers of historical figures of war time. Like Lenin, Hitler, Stalin I can't remember the last one. Not only that it stood so very tall with tiers that mirrored other evils humanity had to suffer through.

The Millenium Clock. 
When our feet started to ache once more I dragged Danny to Dim Sum since it had been far to long. I researched a place after looking through the to do guide for Edinburgh in our hotel room. The restaurant we ended up eating at was called Saigon Saigon, I had initially been looking for a bowl of pho. This restaurant served very little Vietnamese food despite the name. When I did get on their website it had a very colourful menu, with an all day a la carte section. Making it very enticing and hard to refuse.

Now it was time to sample their food, the staff all spoke Mandarin so I couldn't communicate with them very well. Most of the wait staff seemed to know enough to take an order,  after ordering exactly what I wanted and some more to go I was supper happy.
  1.  Beef ho fun
  2.  Chinese doughnut wrapped in rice noodles
  3.  Steamed pork buns
  4.  Rice noodles with peanut sauce
  5.  Sticky rice with Chinese sausage egg and chicken in a banana leaf
The food was good but the prices for each dish seemed expensive £ 3+ per plate, the noodles were from the main menu costing £8. 

Either way I was pleasantly full and it was time to start the journey down country. Let's quickly recap.
  1. Ferry 1:40 
  2. Bus 4:20
  3. Gondola 0:30
  4. Train 5:15
  5. Train 5:00
  6. Train 0:45
  7. Bus 0:20
  8. Car 0:20 
From Tarbert to Long Eaton, over 18 hours!

Finally made it into a bed, time to sleep and get things sorted in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment