Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 2 Edinburgh

I awoke in the afternoon, Danny started making an omelets for breakfast/lunch since we have access to the self catering facilities. On our way up to the castle there was no shortage of things to watch, shop and eat.

Yodainvisible man, Elaine Davidson the lady with the most piercings in the world, escapologist, a guy playing the musical saw, bagpipe player and a man from brave heart were all on the way to the castles. On top of all the eateries and shops (mostly selling cashmere) there were also vendors on the street that sold hand woven winter garments, Celtic jewellery, Scottish art, hand carved stones, caricaturists and plenty more.


Since it was pretty much across the street we went into the St. Giles cathedral cause you can't go to a city and not see its church? I snap a picture of the biggest organ I think I have ever seen.


On route to the castle we went into the literary museum, since Edinburgh is a town with many famous writers.    In the Writers Museum up a spiralling cement stairway there was a collection of works, paintings/drawings and life implements that were used during the writers life. Featuring Robert Burns the poet, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson who wrote Treasure Island, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and many more.

Even with all the distractions we saw the Edinburgh castle by day where we got to see how well placed the building is in city. This time it had a much less ominous feeling to it since it wasn't filled with thoughts of history that the walls themselves hold.

Looping around to Grassmarket to see some of the pubs and shops, we found that there wasn't much going on in the streets. I think we spent a little more time than intended to in a a shop called Helios Fountain  I have been in a lot of nick-knacks type stores with all the fun crafts and stationary but I just really loved this one. On our way back around towards the Tron theatre we made a pit stop for a fruit smoothie and a milk shake.

On Cockburn street we hit many of the alternative, independent stores since the large super malls don't really appeal to me. There isn't anything fancy from HMV, KFC and over priced clothing from huge name brand stores.

Back to the flat to drop off what I bought today an buy cinema tickets. When we were browsing through the shops I found a pamphlet for Scotland Loves Anime showings right here in Edinburgh. I count myself really lucky since I haven't had the chance to see any Japanese works in the cinema. Here is my chance, I wanted us to catch Berserk & Berserk 2 but the last showing was yesterday. Nerawareta Gakuen was playing today at 6 pm but when we got there it was sold out. Instead we were able to grab the next showing for Blood-C The Last Dark.

Here is the trailer, what a great film. Even though this has been ongoing since 2000. A movie, two season series another revamped with CLAMP and now another winning film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment