Sunday, October 28, 2012

Couch surfing Nottingham Part 2

After eating a Thai lunch I was fully stuffed and ready to wander around town, after doing several loops and stopping in Nero to grab some coffee it was time to meet my next host. I figured I would get more from staying with another host. Plus this would mean that I would get to see more of the city.

Troy and I walked over to the Burger Kitchen to meet her and her friend. After chatting for a while we all went our separate way. Ili and I went over to her place in a fancy upper class student apartments. Shared kitchen but their own en suite bathrooms. I really liked this place reminds me of the high rises we have back at home with a gym and other amenities available on site. The building itself seemed to have very high security and lots of rules but I guess that is just to enforce proper living within the building.

She flashed her key card on several doors through corridors and on a lift we finally made it. This place is much larger than I had expected. I wonder how many people live in this building alone, must be a lot since there was three flats per one kitchen. Maybe more!

Ili and I had a nice Big Bang Theory marathon since I hadn't watched any of the new season, so she caught me up. I think I have re kindled my love for the show as well. After the mini marathon we stayed up talking into the night about life experiences and adventures abroad. Ili is one awesome girl! I had a great nights sleep and was ready for the next day.

I had told her about the music festival Branch Out we did a bit of research on the venues and ended picking one in the same. Called Malt Cross but the music didn't start until earlier hours of the evening. We still had some time to explore and get into town. Ili mentioned a vintage fair, sure why not it was a £1 to get in and we would get a chance to find some antiques.


We entered this old building which I am sure was used for a theatre or still is, there was tea, cupcakes and all sorts of things for sale. From jewellery, clothing, accessories, tie dye, military camouflage and tonnes more of nick nack type items. What I wasn't quite prepared for was all the people that were going to be there, swarms of people of all types and sizes were there trying to muscle through to the next stand. I couldn't tell who was selling goods verses the consumers. After a short while we believed we had seen it all and were tired of the crowd. Time to find a nice place to get a hot beverage.

Their speciality drink is a hot chocolate with Maltesers, they also do a pretty good Chai Latte.
Since we really didn't have any place in mind we figured we would head over to the Malt Cross early to check out the venue. we had a back up place in mind since the music started at 3 pm at one of the other stages. When we arrived though I absolutely loved the converted style that had taken from this old theatre into a pub venue. A balcony level giving full view of the stage from above and also a more private seating area, the stage itself was on a mezzanine where it looks like only staff can get to. Which was a nice change from the usual pub seats shoved aside for a dance floor and a stage at the end. The bottom floor has nice long cozy sofas for more a booth feel. Ili and I loved it we were engaged in conversation until the bands started playing I think we spent about 6 hours sitting there, luckily for me I enjoyed every moment of it.


What a wonderful time I had with Ili now I must say good bye to Nottingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment