Wednesday, May 27, 2015

My most fearful moments traveling

Some of you might say that you are 'jealous' or 'envy' the life I live, or you wish that you were doing what I was. Although, I rarely share my travel woes on my blog but today I am going to compile them here in a neatly comprehensive list.

*drum roll*

NOT SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE - I love languages, I really do BUT those first couple people I try my new words on are terrifying. Are they going to laugh in my face? Correct me? Ignore me? Who knows...anything could happen. You very quickly learn from locals the words for 'I don't understand'. At least you can use this back at them later. >.<


BEING ENTIRELY ALONE - I love and hate this so much. The solitude is amazing, I read books, play guitar and wander around in parks taking pictures. Then I realize I don't have anyone to share them with, I thank the Webz for Instagram.

HOLIDAY MISHAPS - I miss holidays, like recently I realized I missed Mother's Day entirely. Not just by days... but just out right blanked out, until it was pointed out that it was Mother's Day in the country I was in. So Mother's Day is different in different countries, who knew. I swear I am not a bad daughter!!
In Canada it was the second Sunday in May, in Poland it was 26th...on a Wednesday.
UNREACHABLE - You don't have wifi, there is no one around. You're having a great time climbing a volcano or hiking up a side of the mountain to get a good sunset view. Then you place your foot down that funny way and you think to yourself 'if I died right now, no one would know. I should have told someone....maybe the receptionist back at the hostel?'

FOOD THAT SCARES YOU - You can eat Horses, Kangaroos, Ostriches, Deers, Rabbits, Snakes OH MY....Oh right last but not least a plethora of bugs!

Come on' I'm sure you found something gross on this list.
BEING SICK - Not only is the doctor scary enough in your own country. IMAGINE THIS...they don't speak your language, they can't read your insurance (or you don't have any), you have an embarrassing sickness, hidden fees? nobody knows. Most of all you can't crawl into your own bed. Trust me I actually get scared when I cough sometimes.


POST VACATION DEPRESSION - this is the one that terrifies me. I know that when I return home that I am not the same person as when I left but there is a fear that no one will 'understand' me that I have become unrelatable. People might get sick of me only talking about my travels...I might never get to travel again. 


I even thought to myself, 

'I wonder if anyone else have moments like this during their travels. Low and behold, there are!' 

And that idea turned into a Facebook group where people can ask questions, talk about their travel woes with a good group of people. :) No pressure. I'll just be rambling, I hope that it will be a good outlet. Uplifting and fun. 


What can I say? I am an eccentric dreamer...

No comments:

Post a Comment