Thursday, April 2, 2015

Fox village (Kitsune Mura)

I From Fukushima we just hopped on the JR Tohoku line towards Sendai and in 30 minutes we arrived at Shiroishi station. 

There are only two buses a day that go to Kitsune Mura, one being 7:35am and the second one at 1:35pm. Look for the only colourful 'castle bus' with an anime girl on the side. ¥200 ticket bought on board the train. 

I was surprised that there wasn't any other tourists waiting at the bus stop or boarded at any other of the stops along the way. The bus driver doesn't speak any English nor was he 'genki' although his initial judgement was that we were mainland Chinese tourists. I only found out because I over heard him talking about us to the group of oka-sans at the front of the bus. 

After a misadventure up a steep hill that didn't want to be conquered....and a 20 minute delay we were picked up by a kind man who worked at Kitsune Mura. 

¥1000 per person and ¥100 per bag of treats (cut up hot dogs and/or carrots for the rabbits) we were in the 'village' greeted by Guinea pigs and captive foxes and rabbits. 
The rabbits' ears looked more than damaged, I wonder if it due to the abundance of foxes here. Midnight adventures or should I say hunt? 

The foxes in the cages made me really sad since the enclosures were smaller than I had imagined or near acceptable by my standards. (Mind you I always want all public animal enclosures to be free roaming) The website and YouTube videos portrayed that the whole place was a village of cute domesticated foxes running around.
After going through another set of doors, there they were the ones that were able to wander. My idea was that there would be a lot of them jumping around and none of them would be caged. I realized that they do fight and they are territorial wild creatures after all, living harmoniously might not be an option. Are they captured from the wild? 
They had a human feeding area encouraging tourists to feed the foxes from a safe distance above. 
The taxi back to Shiroishi station was about ¥4000. Remember if you try to walk back it will be a 13 hour trek *cough* sorry that's 13 kms :P 

No comments:

Post a Comment