Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Obtaining a NIN and work.

I probably shouldn't have waited as long as I did to start my application process to get this National Insurance Number but here I am about 10 days since my arrival. I have finally started looking into what I need to obtain this (SIN #)...

Just a couple steps:
1. Fill out some form called the 'CA5400' signed and forwarded to the National Insurance Number Centre.
2. Now this is the part that has me a bit weary (wait for processing it can take up to months) eep.
2.5. Registering with local doctor's office.

When I called the number I immediately got transferred to the right location even though the number I wrote down was for the nearest branch to me. From there the lady just gave me another phone number and hung up. :/

Yesterday I finally got on the phone with the gentleman who said that he would send out an application that I would have to fill out and send back. This part of the process would take 7-10 days, two days later I got mail! Off to the mailbox.

At the present moment during the wait for the application for turn around time I have been looking for a job. I have applied for a couple jobs around town, admin work mostly since I am unsure if I want to work in the customer service industry as of yet but as we all know Christmas is around the corner and a lot of places in the near by mall will be hiring. Of course pay is always something we take into account...and this is what I learned.

Minimum wage goes:
  • £6.08 = $9.79 CAD- the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
  • £4.98 - the 18-20 rate
  • £3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
  • £2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship
8 days later I got my National Insurance Number. Okay, I'll admit it but I thought it would be harder than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment