Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Traditional English Food

Buttered Crumpets: After one of Danny's friend showed some serious enthusiasm about how I had to try one of these, we bought some from the near by grocers. Roughly 7 cm in diameter and roughly 2 cm thick. I like to skip the butter and just put jam on mine but you can spread whatever you like on it. I think maple syrup would be best.   This is usually served in the mornings for breakfast. They look very pancake like on the other side, but they don't taste like a pancake.

English Mint Sauce: Made from finely chopped mint leaves, soaked in vinegar, and a small amount of sugar. This is something that I very naively thought was only for Indian dishes. Since the Indian serve it next to meat it is very much the same over here but they serve it next to lamb. It is a very lovely sauce that can be put on almost anything.

Scones: I had always wanted to try once since I had no idea what they were. It is of Scottish origin and is served with jam and cream for tea time (our dinner time). I had the opportunity to have them baked fresh! Next time I plan to try one of the blueberry kinds.
Fish and chips: As most people already know about this traditional English food, I myself never tried it whilst in Canada. I know we have it available but when it comes down to it, it isn't a take away food which I think is what makes it novel for me. Here it is wrapped in paper and off you go, when I opened it up it was literally dripping in grease. The paper test would definitely become see-through if left long enough. I could barely eat half of it, unfortunately it didn't agree with me and I won't be trying this again. I can see the appeal for it though

Yorkshire puddings: Love, love, love them!  They're traditionally served with Sunday roast and of course gravy. I have seen extra large ones with sausages and other fixins served in them. I can't wait to try one of the super yorkshire pudding.
A Large yorkshire pudding!
 That is it for this post I am sure at some point I will be able to share another post about food. I'm currently on a search for bubble tea...until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment