Saturday, December 14, 2013

Tsukiji Market

I thought it was time to write a post,'Sashi buri' (means long time, no see)  I have been extermely busy trying to keep up with Japanese life. Working many jobs trying to fit in time to hang out with friends and make plans for the upcoming time off. Tis the season.

I have been meaning to write about Tsukiji market (the infamous fish market in Tokyo), I had gone once before but admittedly forgot to write anything about it. So get ready.

A friend and I had made plans to go there for early in the morning about 5:30am since that is when we can get there going aboard the first train. From there we pushed it back until 9am since that when they let 'Gaijin' in (outsiders). We arrived shortly after 9:30am and everything was already set up, there are two markets and the fish market itself. We went straight to the market to grab some dashiyaki tamago and we were off to take pictures of the fish being sold.


The market itself is vast in size and to walk all of it without stopping would take a good hour, I think. From there we were amazed with the variety of sea life being sold here. I wondered to myself how soon the ocean would be emptied by Japanese fish culture let alone the rest of the worlds consumption. 
Here is a picture of me taken by Misaki- I was feeling bad for a crab bubbling from the mouth.
There were so many things being sold here that I couldn't even comprehend how this whole place gets it stock into such a sight spaced area. then again there are fishermen and chefs all around with trucks moving from the smallest to the largest of fish around. Piles and buckets of ice were everywhere keeping the fish fresh as possible. 

In the morning from 3-4am there is an auction that takes place for the best and most expensive fish sold. It seems unlikely that I will will ever see it. Just last Friday I went there again catching the first train in hopes to witness the auction but sadly missed it arriving at 5am. 
Yes I ate Dango there since the market kind of put me off of fish for the day.
When we were walking through the market we even got stopped by a lady telling us that foreigners were not allowed inside the market until 9am. Very inadvertently told us to vacate, we just took a couple lefts and rights until we were out of her sight. 
Nama Basashi and Ungai (Raw horse meat and eel)
Our last stop was a sushi restaurant, a man which seemed very angry to serve us made us some of the most delicious sushi I have ever had the chance to experience. The individual pieces ranged from $150-$500, but it was well worth it since we got to see the man prepare it in front of us. 

All in all it was quite the experience, give it a go. If you don't like the smell of fish I wouldn't recommend it :P

No comments:

Post a Comment