Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Global Degree Thank You Note

Hello Everyone, 

As one might have wondered in passing what happened to my fundraiser (The last Dreamer), I was able to raise some money but I didn't hit my mark. It ended on June 6th and I found out that no one got their contributions refunded back to them. I chased down the technical support team in hopes that they could answer my unanswered questions. I am not a dishonest person and the last thing I would want is to take advantage of my lovely friends who were  supporting my dream. 

When I finally received an email back after a long deal of frustrating correspondence from the website 'people' I was told that they have had a glitch and it has charged everyone's credit card for the amount that they had contributed. To my shock I was feeling that I had not only lied to my friends but I have taken advantage of them in some sense. I wondered how I would be able to return these funds back to the correct individuals. The 'people' and some of my friends were happy to give me the money anyways, which I felt a little guilty about. In the end that was all they could do for me since they didn't have the ability to send the money back. 

The story goes, I was working in Taiwan at a hostel trying to make money but because the wages were low I wasn't able to save up a lot. This was when I created the video, hashed out ideas, talked to a plethora of wonderful individuals about my dream. I then left Taiwan after returning to Japan to say my last goodbyes and embarking on my Eurotrip in May. My funds were depleting as one would know that Europe is not a cheap country. 

I had enough in my pocket to get me to the end of this trip where I would go home and tend to the matter of finances and obtain a new working holiday visa for an EU country. It was suppose to be Germany but I felt like there was so much more to see since it was in a much closer proximity, so I decided to take my time and travel onwards. As some of you may already know from my posts and photos I have just walked the Camino from Portugal to Spain to get some perspective on what I should do with my upcoming future. 

The kicker is that when I was Porto (about three weeks ago) I was either pick pocketed or very clumsily lost my wallet. I was heartbroken and defeated that I still had this eye-opening venture of a walk ahead of me. This was at the beginning of the walk. I was very lucky that my boyfriend was able to give me some funds to get me through the alburges throughout and slept outside when we could. I spent 15 days walking in the Spanish heat, the tropic rain, battling bugs, walking along highways, farms and much more. 

I wasn't entirely disconnected from the internet but I wasn't getting anymore correspondence from the tech team at global degree until I had at last arrived at my end destination Santiago De Compostela. The way of St.James were pilgrims who walked to see the remains that were unveiled, they came from all over Europe. The pilgrims who made the religious walk, battled inner demons, the weather and an the anguish of the pains in their bodies on the long and arduous journey.Throughout the camino one learns a lot about themselves. I walked to see if I could find myself, with no money in my pocket relying on others. When it came to the end my camino, they wired your money to me in Madrid before I boarded the last leg of my journey from Spain to Germany to head back to Canada. 

I was overwhelmed that this came when it did because I don't have any credit cards, debit cards or cash of any sort. My pockets were empty but my mind overflowing with thoughts of what was to become of me when I arrived home. I will find work, endeavour to save up money to catch tailwinds to another unknown land to me. Until then I will try this civilized life where the following weeks will be known and the comfort of people aren't from only strangers met along the path. So I write you with my deepest thanks that you have helped me make it to the final destination, a place called home. 

If you have any questions or concerns of the above feel free to contact me via email. 

I love you all very much and I will remember this blessing until the day I take my last breath.

Yours, 

Jenny Tam

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters to what lies within us.

No comments:

Post a Comment