Friday, March 6, 2015

Taichung, Taiwan

Wait did I even write a post about my arrival? I guess should catch everyone up!  After my stint in Taipei I became tired but not because of the city, it was due to my stubbornness to chase money and other factors. I needed a break. What's a better reason than to explore another city!Next thing I knew it was decided and I was moving to Taichung. 

Two of my lovely friends which I met in the hostel were kind enough to pick me up. An impromptu arrival lead me to want to relax briefly, going out clubbing and just spending time catching up on my neglected to do list. 

Next thing I knew I was back to Taipei for work Monday evening, after only one short week I had returned. It was brisk and rainy the whole time but as I wandered around the city running errands, the best part was that it had the essence of home. Maybe it was the refreshing rain, the mini 'reunions'. It was easier this time for me to approach people and use my Chinese, find unique foods, travel around and visit with my group of friends I had built there... I didn't realize that it was going to be a place that I would become so comfortable with. Maybe one day I will come back and live in Taiwan and improve my Mandarin. 


I returned the following Friday to Taichung to mainly see the lantern festival but the whole thing wasn't like the one in Pingxi. Which had a Mecca of people setting off sky lanterns, this was an arty array to of lights which decorated everything from animals to giant boats. The celebrations runs March 5-March 15 in three different locations within the city presumably with the same effect. 


This was literally the first time I had gone out, wandered around, sat on the grass, soaked in the differences of Taichung compared to Taipei. There was an area near the main station which the Vietnamese and Thai people were more predominate. Taichung was a more widely diverse than I had imagined. I'm going to be happy to explore more of this wonderful Taiwanese city when I make my way back around. (That's right I'm coming back, no country can get rid of me) 



No comments:

Post a Comment