Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Good-bye Edmonton

There are no words that I could write down to express how much I have come to love my life here in Edmonton. Rebuilt with all the good people surrounding me, a good job, I finally know what is another side of the coin.
Alright, I don't know what it is but I <3 my bike. A lot. I wish I could take it with me.

Alberta, how much flatter can you get?

The thought of Edmonton used to scare me and would have me shuddering in a theatrical manner. Fear of never moving away from home, fear of becoming complacent with my life, fear of never expanding my idealistic horizons. On top of that I thought it was the unfortunate memories this city had held and the horrid things that have happened in the past that has made me shun this city....We all have to let go eventually.

Learning some valuable lessons upon my return and not only that, I am in a good place to reflect on the things that I have learned from my Asian travels. I truly am a different person than when I left.

When I speak of travel it is more than going to a resort or a camping trip within the Continent but my true way of living. It differs from place to place changing who I am consistently. My beliefs, diet, routine, goals, friends, language: everything. Building up my strengths, minimizing the unnecessary, being thankful for things I thought were never possible. Embracing landscapes that wrap around us when I stand in that place I know I am meant to be. Whether that is at sunset/sunrise in a foreign country from the mountain top, listening to the sounds of the ocean ebb and flow, dinner on a patio at restaurant on a street I have never been down before. Making new friends on the island of smiles.
Memorable moments:
  • Eating Korean BBQ with Heather and Travis in Victoria and poking slugs!
  • Singing along to A Perfect Circle LIVE outside!
  • Lopping off Teddy Gram Heads and adding four different kinds of cheese to every meal at Boonstock.
  • Dancing to Stuck in the middle with you at Wunderbar with Karrie and laughing at the most endearing "Charlie 'Adolf' Chaplin"
  • Singing along to "What I got" covered by Dub FX.
  • Dancing to The Pretender by Foo Fighters the dnb remix Infected Mushroom's LIVE cover at Motion Notion. 
  • Drinking a bottle of wine with the wife listening to Newton Faulkner.
  • All the house parties! Bonfires!
  • Every single bike ride on my BMX. <3
  • Sitting on the swing in the backyard with friends under the warmth of the sun whilst drawing.
  • Seeing Tyler's creation (Diary of a True Man) at the fringe.
  • Eating ice cream cake while watching anime after a good night of drum and bass with Justyna.
  • Every single smile I have seen since I have been back.
  • SASQUATCH, enuff said.
Last showing of Tyler's play

 Oh Halloween, I sure do love you.
I got rocking friends, you know who you are.


















































No comments:

Post a Comment