Saturday, August 9, 2014

Doctor Who Premier in Seoul

 I have been reminding myself over and over again to write about this joyous day. Since it was one of the main reasons that I went to South Korea in August. I had heard through the grape vine that the new doctor and his companion Jenna Coleman was doing a tour to promote the new season of Doctor Who.

I went to the venue without a ticket since they were given away for free and were all 'sold out'. At first they said that the tickets would be $15 but then they realized that the fans were really happy about the tour and decided to give the tickets out for free. So i went in hopes that someone would give me one ticket, I made a sign and off I went.

Instantly as soon as I got off the train I was greeted by a fellow fan that knew where I was going since I was sporting my doctor who shirt and we became friends. We met her boyfriend who had been patiently waiting in the line up for hours before our arrival, I couldn't believe how long the line up already was. There was about 100 people, I was thinking to myself it was going to be impossible to get tickets. They promised that every single seat after ticket holders arrived (or didn't show) would be filled by the people waiting in this line. I thought it was sweet but I am sure they had thought this through because at the end of the show everyone I saw in the line up was still there.

On to my story, I was interviewed by the radio show touring with the doctor and his companion which would be featured on BBC about why I was there in the line up today. I never did hunt it down maybe I can find it at a later date if I look hard enough. Either way after the interview this couple passed me buy and tried to sell me their ticket for an unreasonable amount even though they won VIP tickets through twitter.

Side note: There was a competition when the Tardis had landed in Seoul to send in a photo on Twitter. We did get to see everything that was featured as the best when we arrived on the big screen.

From there I told the couple that I didn't have much money but I would buy the ticket off of them for a lower price than they had offered me so I could get into the cosplay and merchandise area.  Which was only available for ticket holders and I really wanted some swag. We negotiated and I paid $12 to guarantee a seat that wasn't going to be in the back of the room.

I was able to buy some swag and take a picture with the Tardis before heading in and watching the interview with the cast. Now the only complaint that I had was the translator was really quiet and for the people who didn't speak Korean it was a hard pressed time to sit through all the interpretations. Either way it was fun and I got to watch the season premiers with a lot of die hard fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment