Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Landing in Seoul

I arrived in Seoul and everyone was more aggressive than I was used to I couldn't figure out what the huge rush was. I guess people had places to be, onto the train, straight to immigration and off to baggage claim.

I was already quite flustered from my earlier experience with vanilla air. The check in line was super long, dashing through security and immigration. I felt like I would never make it to the gate and of course when I arrived I was told that boarding would be delayed 20 minutes.


Seoul city has buses and trains galore but it was easy enough to navigate your way out of the airport. I took the bus for 10,000W and I was bound for the Namdanam market. Tucked away in a small alley was my hostel, it had everything I needed.  Through I wouldn't have complained if there was a bit more space. That would have been ideal if I had a choice to change anything about this little hostel. Then again for 20,000W a night I couldn't really complain.


The first night was us heading out to Hongdae area to find a watering hole. The streets were scoured by street food and lots of random market nick-nacks. We went in and out a couple places where the waiters insisted that we buy some food, we weren't opposed to buying food but the problem was that it was giant portions if large greasy food and we already ate dinner.


We kept going in to little bars and clubs, with that we were able to pound back a couple of drinks. During this search for a place where we could drink all evening we walked past a club with a never ending line, I wish I knew who was headlining. In the end we settled on a place where the food was fairly cheap and heather was able to finally get her makgori.



As the evening progressed the table of Korean guys next to us became very social. They clinked their shot glasses of shoju and practiced what really broken English with the intent if hitting on my friend. Next thing I knew it was 3:30am and it was time to see if we could walk home.


The walk home wasn't so bad when we looked at the map but we weren't walking at top speed...before we knew it an hour and a half had already gone by. The streets are filled with people on the weekend even in the early morning hours you can still get tagged by a questionable person. Soon we were in a taxi on our way back to the hotel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment