Friday, July 13, 2012

Moving to Scotland

It was an early start 6:40am off to the train station, Danny and I had been packing and cleaning all week to prepare for this very impromptu trip up to the Isle of Harris . I didn't mention in the previous blog that we had been offered jobs working at a 4 star hotel. What a wonderful surprise we got while walking into the Museum in Cardiff.  Since the whole idea behind going camping for Canada day was to see if I could clear up things in my mind and come back to Derby with a fresh outlook towards the next step in finding new work. Working at Sky/Herotsc wasn't doing it for me anymore, the hours were long and the number of nice verses irate people just wasn't tipping the scale enough for me to want to stay there. 

Leaving Derby was something I didn't expect to impact me as much as it did, since my team at work had thrown me a mini team brief with goodies and things. Cards and sweeties a plenty it was very thoughtful of everyone that pitched in. To be honest I wasn't expecting anything at all, just a couple hugs and fair wells. In the evening we gathered with the peeps to say our goodbyes, in the end we all knew that it wouldn't be the last time that we saw them again so no tears were shed.

Onwards, when the train arrived at Crewe we switched to a virgin train from the East Midlands Train our one way train ride from Derby to Glasgow 40 pounds each for the one way. I slept for the second part of the train ride and when we arrived in Glasgow not much was different cept for the Scottish accent. It reminded me of training at Hero when I first started my job since my trainer was from Scotland. So it wasn't a huge surprise to hear everyone speaking so differently, it actually made it feel like we were travelling to a new country.

Our very first stop was the EURO Hostel a big building near the train station, we wanted to store our luggage since it was really starting to weigh us down. Luckily they didn't charge us for storage, check in wasn't until 3pm. I thought this was a bit strange since check out was at 11am, either way we will have to wait. We dropped out things off and wandered in the midst of Cardiff central, I had to pick up some work pants and bought some art supplies for this part of my journey. We stopped in at the art museum (GOMA) it just happened to be located in front of the huge yet very expensive art store. I wish we had more time to explore but Danny wasn't feeling well he had caught some sort of cold. Time to grab some meds and orange juice so that we can nurse him back to health, I needed to take some time and rest since we didn't really sleep the night before at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment