Monday, August 27, 2012

Scottish Food

I have been here in Scotland for just over a month and I wanted to say something about the food here, now Scottish cuisine has a lot of European influences but still have their own method of preparation.
Scottish Smoked Salmon, ready to eat right out of the package. Now I myself didn't know about this until earlier this week but when introduced to it I bought a package of my own. It is so delicious!!! 
The Smoked Salmon is from the Uig Lodge, I have yet to go there myself but had a friend pick it up for me. 

Cranachan a Scottish dessert. Whipped cream, whiskey honey , raspberries and  toasted oatmeal. I have seen some with a shortbread base but they seem to vary from place to place. 

As for breakfast it is pretty much exactly the same as an English breakfast (Sausages, bacon, eggs, black pudding, beans, roasted tomatoes, fried mushrooms and a tattie scone) 

The Tattie Scone is what I wanted to talk about since the name in my mine would make me think of an English Scone. Instead it is actually a potato pancake/scone. It is mashed potatoes and butter minus the milk and then salted, after that they add flour to the mixture and make it into a dough. Then it is rolled out and put on a pan or baked in the oven. They can be pizza shaped or little circles.

I really like potato scones, then again I really like potato pancakes! One day I hope I can travel around Europe and try the many different kinds of potato pancakes. Lastly, I have to mention Irn Bru since it is the Scottish beverage that has made its way around the world. The only reason that I mention this drink since I don't drink a lot of pop/fizzy/caffeinated are the adverts. I think they are all quite amusing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment