Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pancake Day

Over a casual conversation I found out about "Pancake Day" since I am a big fan of pancakes I really wanted to find out more. In the next couple days I had come to the final conclusion of making this a party at my place. Now with a good hand full of people we will celebrate pancake day with a big feast and a variety of pancakes.

Before hosting this party I needed to inform myself why we have this pancake day in the first place. I later found out that it is the last day before lent and things like butter and  eggs weren't allowed to be eaten. It was time to actively start practising abstinence, of giving things up.   

An English Pancake is thin, flat and fried in a pan with sugar sprinkled over the top with a dash of fresh lemon or orange juice. Then this pancake is rolled into what looks very much like a crepe, some people here add golden syrup or jam. 

English Pancake Recipe:
220g Flour, sifted pinch of salt
2 Eggs
1 Pint of Milk 
50g of Butter

Since the Canadian way of eating pancakes is having them thick and fluffy, I am sure that people will still eat them even though they aren't nearly as traditional. 

Canadian Pancake Recipe:
1-1/2 cups of milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 white sugar 
2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup of butter, melted

Trivia:
Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Day or Pancake Tuesday - UK, Ireland and OZ
Terca-feira gorda (Fat Tuesday)- The final day of the Brazilian Carnival
Apocreas 'from the meat' - Greece since they don't eat meat during Lent
Fettisdagen (Fat Tuesday) - Sweden
Mardi Gras - USA and France 
Sprengidagur (Bursting day) - Iceland 
Fastnacht or Fasteloven - Germany 

HAPPY PANCAKE DAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment