Thursday, December 1, 2011

Finding work in Derby

I wasn't planning to write a post about looking for work but in the end I have something to share. When I first arrived I thought that finding a job would be easy since getting my national insurance number was three phone calls, a form and about 10 days wait. When I finally got online and started applying for jobs there were tonnes of postings in every sector that I was willing to work in.

Now it has been about a month and a half I have gotten 11 refusal letters saying they can't take me on at this time. It doesn't sound that bad does it but I have applied for over 80 job postings via in person, email and even letters in the mail. Over the last couple weeks I would like to think that my new skill that I have obtained is filling out forms faster than humanly possible. Time to change the approach.

Off to temp agencies, as we know at home they range from showing up at 6:30am in hopes to find work and end up with some cash in your pocket at the end of the day. I have done this once at home with some free time and insomnia on my side. It doesn't really pay off being sent out to a job site, having them dock you rental fees for work boots, gloves, goggles, etc you end up going home with about $50-60 a day. There are more of course event staff and the clerical/admin work that includes training, testing and all of that is unpaid unfortunately. When you need money anything will do to pay the bills.

I first went into two temping agencies earlier this week in hopes to find something that will by the time whilst I continue to look for work. A possible third if need be. Now after a two hour induction (their British word for orientation) I have a job that I start tomorrow.It has something to do with working in a production lines making bouquets and wreaths for Christmas at a place called Flower World. How fitting. Either way at minimum wage this will have to do, I hope by the new year I will be able to land something better paying.

The next part of this is finding a bank that will let me open an account. They say that direct deposit is the best way to get your money and I fully agree since I don't personally like depositing cheques in person and taking that time out of my day to find out that I have to wait 24 hours before I get to even touch my money. I went hunting for a bank that would take me on. Lloyd's bank instantly refused me, Co-Operative signed me up but I won't know for 10 business days if I have been approved or not, Halifax gave me a website link to do it online and could not help me in person (I have to wait another 7 working days before I find out if I get a bank account with them. I have another appointment tomorrow to find out if Barclay's will take me on hopefully they will. If not, where do all the immigrants deposit their money?

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment